Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Apr 2, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Wyville wrote:

Oh, nothing wrong with that! I simply doubt it would make much business sense to release a new version (at probably twice the price) of a lens that a lot of people are happy with using. It's not like the 400/5.6 where current users would be happy to upgrade to a version with IS

Actually I think the opposite could be true. The 100-400 has room for improvement in several key areas - image quality (which is good but the latest lenses are better), handling (get rid of the push-pull zoom) and current generation 4-stop IS.

Whereas the 400/5.6 has features which make it perfect for a small group of people, mainly BIF shooters of course, who want a lightweight lens with no IS. I'm not sure the 400/5.6 could be improved without taking away its unique appeal.

Actually I am one who loves the push-pull design and would be really sad to see it go. Although I am kind of resigned to the idea that it will happen. Just seems so much more intuitive, if I want to get closer I reach out towards the target. If I want to pull back I...well pull back. Just makes sense really. But maybe more importantly it also means my hand can remain underneath the barrel and out at the end supporting the weight at all times. Not keen on the idea of having to twist my supporting hand around the barrel as a large weight extends out in front of it. But that's me. We don't always get what we want

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow