Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
dsjtecserv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532Gear list
Like?
Re: Pretentious Latin twaddle and lens distortion Re: Is Full frame still the most versatile?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 2, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

Yeah, I had a feeling that was what you referring to but I wasn't sure so that's why I asked.

Anyway, let me get something straight.

Are you saying that, if I have a telephoto lens that has clear signs of pincushion distortion on my 35mm, that it will worsen if I stick the lens in front of a smaller sensor and disappear (or at least be reduced) if I stick the same lens in front of a larger sensor (notwithstanding the issues of lens rear to sensor distance on the larger fromat camera)?

And likewise, am I to take it that my wide angle lens on 35mm that shows heaps of barrel distortion will produce an image displaying minimal barrel distortion if I put in front of a smaller sensor, and I guess even more distortion wil be displayed if I put that lens on a larger format?

Am I to take it that is how things work??

Thanks.

Although It has been implicit in some of the things Draek and Mjankor have said, I suspect you aren't recognizing a key point: designing a 24 mm lens for a compact sensor, for a "full frame" 35 mm sensor, and for a large format medium are VERY different tasks, even though the focal length is the same. A lens for a compact need only cover very small sensor dimensions, compared to a lens of the same focal length intended for a larger sensor. In a very real sense, the challenge of producing a "good" lens, in all respects, does indeed scale with sensor size; it is not an absolute function of focal length alone.

I'm not a lens designer, so I won't attempt to describe how the effects of a different-sized sensor "target" play out, but it seems to me you aren't taking that into consideration, and doing so might bridge the communication gap we are seeing here.

Dave

dsjtecserv's gear list:dsjtecserv's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow