Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?
Re: I disagree
In reply to Anders W, Apr 2, 2013

Anders W wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

At the wide end of my 12-35 it needs a lot of correction and the Photozone results do show the centre sharpness is a long way above the edge at all apertures at 12mm, but whether that's software correction or the edges of the lens just being not-so-great in comparison to the centre I have no idea.

Exactly. While we know that the resolution of the 12-35 after distortion correction is worse than before, we can't know whether the end result is better or worse than it would have been for a lens designed so as not to require any software correction. Correcting one aberration is frequently at odds with correcting others and improving distortion characteristics by optical means may well come at the expense of lower resolution.

really ? take a peek @ olympus 12-35/2 or 35-100/2... optical correction adds weight, size and cost+price... but it always better than software correction just because you can always apply the same math on top of that... you don't have any single example of a properly optically corrected lenses (distortion and aberrations) that leads to reduced resolution... just FUD to justify underdesigned lenses to save on size/weight and cost to sell more.

Some people who haven't understood things properly might reason that way. My reasoning is closely aligned with that of kenw in this post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39680941

there are no reasonings there... just a personal opinion of somebody

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow