Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,767
Like?
PC is the superior tool for photo editing, here is why..
In reply to theJuke2, Apr 2, 2013

theJuke2 wrote:

I'm trying to look for a new desktop which will be dedicated just to my photography work and I won't be using it for anything else. I am a PC person by nature, but I am not opposed to Mac. What are the pros and cons? Everyone I talk to seems to prefer Mac. I'm trying to find some PC users (or past PC users) to get their input and see how they feel about the Mac/PC comparison for photography work. If you are a past PC user, why did you switch? I'm looking for the pros and cons for each. (Please don't give me the "Macs don't get viruses" reason, and please don't tell me that Macs are made with all Mac hardware and processors - that isn't true any more.) I'm looking purely for functionality. Thank you!

The best tool is the one you can afford. But not only that, lets look by comparing two laptops. Lets assume you have both displays calibrated.. $1800 for the Macbook pro and $ 929 for the HP which is about half the price

The HP has a larger screen 17 which is better for editing, easier to see but you can get the smaller screen from HP if you want and it is less expensive.
In addition to the larger screen HP has double the Ram 8gb, a larger hard drive, 2 drive bays (actually 3 when you include the ability to run an micro SSD that can accelerate your larger spindle drives using intel rapid response storage driver) Blue ray player to play HD movies (HD movies streamed an not true HD) and a 2 year warranty. This laptop was on sale during Easter for $733, I always suggest waiting until a holiday to get sale prices on hp products.

Both laptops do the same thing because they both run photoshop, but the HP has a 2 year warranty, the mac has a 1 year warranty. At the end of the 2 year warranty on the HP for the same price as the mac, you can upgrade your hp to the latest version of laptop with newer and better hardware, the Mac is still stuck with the same hardware and will cost you double to upgrade. I see people with cellular phones upgrade their phones every two years but they must do sigh another agreement. HP you get to do this for free because the laptop is half price.

Trade offs, if you upgrade the memory on the mac to 8gb, you could upgrade the video card on the HP. So they are the same.

So in years 3 and 4 of your purchase, you will have given your still working HP laptop to give to your wife which she will love, you will have a brand new laptop with the latest and greatest hardware with another 2 year warranty which is superior to the 3 year old out of warranty mac, and you will have in speed and specs a far superior/faster system.

The other option is to take the $1000 and buy that new camera or lens you have been wanting, isn't that what photography is really about, the ability to take pictures and the HP laptop can include a free new camera. The HP allows you to that option as well, the Apple will have you sink all your money into a piece of computer hardware which does not help you when you are shooting in the field. Apple doesn't have less than 10 percent of the computer sales for no reason, there is a reason, the PC is superior because of the reasons I suggested, at least for a photographer.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3G47AV?HP-Pavilion-dv7t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

15 macbook pro

• 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB GDDR5 memory
  • 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow