If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,346Gear list
Like?
Re: If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?
In reply to amagbanua, Apr 2, 2013

A friend of mine did just that and he's happy on his D800e. His main reason was to save weight and bulk. My preference is for the Sigma 85mm and it worked like a dream on his D800e. It was bigger than he wanted though. If your main aim is to free up some cash rather than save weight I would get the Sigma. You'll still have f1.4 and the bokeh is a tad nicer. The Nikon 85mm f1.8G is much less bulky though.

Sorry, only just realised you were talking about the 85mm f1.4D lens (he had the D then the G). The Sigma is a much better choice IMO, as is the Nikon 85mm f1.8G. My friend and I both owned the Nikon 85mm f1.4D and both much prefer our current choices. I didn't like the metal hood and felt it lacked AFS. Too much CA wide open, though that is gone by f2. The Sigma is nicer to use and gives great results.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow