Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Neurad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
Re: My backup tactic
In reply to BigBarney, Apr 2, 2013

BigBarney wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

I am traveling to Ireland soon and would like to have an unobstrusive pocketable camera to use indoors (or outdoors when appropriate/necessary). I want it have IQ sufficient that if (God forbid) something happened to the Oly I would still come home with good pictures. I have a Canon S95 that is good, but perhaps not worthy of the role I describe above. I can't afford a Sony RX1 (and it's not pocketable, at least in my pants). So.....

I'm looking for opinions about the best pocketable camera to be the Robin to my OMD Batman. I have posted in this forum because I really am interested in what other M43 users would consider a worthy companion/backup in this category. If you all agree with my wife that: "I don't NEED a new camera, just bring the dang S95" then vote for that. Thanks for indulging me.

I'm considering:

Sony RX1

Nikon Coolpix A

My travel/vacation camera is typically my GH2 with 14-140mm, 20mm, 100-300mm, 7-14mm and 45mm macro, all living with a spare battery and charger in a rucksack. I am big and strong enough to carry this bag all day and to live with the camera on the neckstrap all the time.Sitting in the pocket at the top of the rucksack is also my Panasonic LX3. Admittedly this is a little larger than your S95, but it is still a very small and capable camera and only slightly down on specification to the more current LX7. If you do not want to spend more money on gear then I would support your wife's view/SHOUT that you should stay with the S95, leaving you more money to spend on the Guinness!

My wife appreciates this. I just hope the S95 will have sufficient low light sensitivity for pubs and music/dance events.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow