HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews, continued ...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,371Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews, continued ...
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 2, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

wow! nice results- especially for astia and velvia! I didnt expect that! Maybe Fuji got some feedback for these modes and L size and decided to change some things?  Kim, I wonder how much of a DR penalty there is though for shooting in astia or velvia?

Pretty big ... the tone curves will penalize you mightily in contrasty light. This test was not contrasty.

btw when you talk about equalization of sharpness for M size images do you mean in post process?  I assume you're talking about using USM in PS.

Yes, in CS5 with a very small amount of Smart Sharpening (abbreviated on the heading of the crops) ...

also I really dont like to nitpick but at the end of the blog entry I think you typoed iso 1600- it says iso 1700 there- its been a long night I know lol.

No problem ... I'll try to remember to fix it later.

edit: found another one- you said you are better off shooting Velvia M size than Provia L size.... did you mean Provia M size?

No, I meant L size. Basically, L size does more damage at higher ISO than Velvia.

so is the new standard Velvia > Astia > Provia for high ISO imaging, Kim?

No, I would still use Provia and then manage saturation in post processing. But others might make a different choice.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow