Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
isb_deep
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
HS50: Cherry Blossom Kite Festival 2013, Washington DC
Apr 2, 2013

Some of the images captured over the weekend at the Kite Festival over at DC. It was part of the month long ongoing Cherry Blossom Festival celebrations to mark the onset of the spring season. I had time only for a brief stop and I made it only after all the competitive events had been finished. Nevertheless, it was fun and I was amazed by the sheer variety of kites flying around. I thought I will try shooting in good light to aid  my decision of whether or not to keep the camera.

Highlights: 1. Having a do-it-all zoom is great.

2. Handling of the camera is superb.

3. Focus is very fast, no hesitation. I missed only five or six shots out of about 100 where the camera could not acquire focus and those too were either shooting into the sun or the subject was too small/had less contrast.

4. All shots were using default settings of NR and sharpness I think as I stuck exclusively to the Pop filter found in the Adv modes. I know this is not the ideal mode to gauge the camera's performance but I wanted to see how well it does on its own. Conclusion: NR is very aggressive but not too bad when shooting in good light. I never went beyond ISO 100 even though I had ISO on auto. Some of the images show smearing of fine detail and the water color effect as a result.

5. Viewfinder is detailed enough to compose and focus shots accurately.

6. Selecting the mutli area (non select-able)  AF always gives you a focus point across the center line of the frame, so on it own it chooses only left, center or right. Not a drawback since select-able AF gives you the freedom to choose any focus point across the frame. You cannot decide the area of your focus point, though. Minor hassle.

Can't think of any thing else out of the ordinary, in hindsight, I should have shot some images in L/M sizes with NR low and sharpness low/high settings just to see how they come out after PP but I guess that will have to wait for another outing.

- Deep

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow