Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
OK, here we go - side by side comparison X100/S
Apr 2, 2013

I have had a few folks write to me on 'that other site', requesting I do some side by side pic's and send to them.  I think a lot of people are interested in this, so if I stick it up on here, you can all benefit from that.

A disclaimer first.

# I do not shoot JPEG's - so please do not ask for OOC JPEG's.  I only shoot RAW - these are all shot in RAW - then turned into JPEG files on L/R4.4.  I am an artist and want total control over each of my images so I can make each one a unique piece of 'art' - I do not have that depth of control with JPEG files.  I liken RAW vs JPEG's to a guy having the option to date one of two sisters - one is a bit chumpy and not so good looking, the other is slim and lovely.   He then goes and dates the chumpy one - I rest my case!

# My X100S has firmware 1:01

# I am sorry these are not exact side by side comparisons - I did the best I could.  My two lovely daughters have grown up now and have better things to do that stand around and model for dad (like they used to), and my Fiance is overseas at the moment - so I had no 'victim' to practice on.   I had to use poor hapless, unsuspecting folks at the local market.  If you see your face splattered all over the Universe - I am sorry, for I have sinned!

# I am not up for a fight, so if you don't agree with my assumptions, that is fine - they are only my opinion.   You are welcome to disagree with anything I say on here (or my sad jokes)!   Please don't attack me or any other person who comments on here, we want to keep this a nice experience for all, PLEASE.   I was asked to do this, and am not trying to one-up myself by doing so.

# In each case - the first in the pairs of pictures to be compared - is from the X100S, the second one obviously is from the old X100.

OK - here we go.  These are straight from RAW files, just converted to JPEG so they could be viewed by all on here.  I have not changed anything.   Normally - I would have altered the exposure a bit on a few of them, cropped a bit maybe, saturated the blacks a bit and played around with a few of the sliders.   You can zoom them in close if you wish to 100%, so you can see the detail.   They are all just as they came from the camera.

This is my conclusion.  If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have bought the X100s, simple as that! To me the files from the X100 are much easier for me to get 'that look' that I am seeking.   Seems to me that if I start to sharpen the images from the S, or bring up my 'clarity' 'saturation' and 'vibrance' sliders, they start to take on a horrible plastic look that I don't see with the old 100.  That is only my opinion, but I certainly would NOT buy this camera for the 'improvements' in the image quality.   I mostly prefer the look of my old X100, and it is much much easier for me to attain that look from L/R.

Will I be keeping the S, yes?  The S has some lovely things that I like a lot.  I wear glasses now and my eyes aren't what they used to be.   The bright setting for sunlight is marvelous - I can read the screen so clearly now in bright light.   I love to be able to move the focus square with my right hand, and I love now that I can take 6FPS, without the camera locking up for a long time.

My X100 is my second body that I rely on when I travel in Asia for 6 months of each year.   It is my workhorse, so for me these improvements are major.   I am going to have to put up with the 'change' in the image quality and continue to work on that, and wait for changes from Adobe.  Having said that though, I still maintain what I said before, if I knew then what I know now, I would have saved the $1,353.

If you are a casual user, or an amateur who just wants to use this camera for fun, or weekends or as a hobby - I strongly suggest you do not sell your old X100, or rush out and buy the S.   Think about it seriously - if you can live with a slightly slower camera, and a few quirks (that have been removed on the new one), save a lot of money and keep your old 100.

I hope this helps those who requested?

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow