D7000 quality problem. I'm about to switch back to Canon!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 quality problem. get it serviced?
In reply to SelimTheDream, Apr 2, 2013

SelimTheDream wrote:

Hi all.  First of all I want to mention I really like this site I keep coming back for any problems or questions I have about photography.  Now my problem is the image quality of the D7000 I have.  I don't know if there's something wrong with the camera or if I am doing something wrong.

Congratulations on your Canon images,  they really look nice to my eye.

Heres my short summary: I bought the Nikon D5100 and NOT the D7000 because there were too many reports of problems with the D7000 AF System, Nikon actually swapped in another AF Module on the D7100 so there must be something technically in it, in my opinion.

I get satisfactory images (very sharp and decent contrast)  with my D5100 even with cheap lenses, if I do everything right and compensate for the specific characteristics of the cheaper lenses. Having said that: if I were you I would have invested in the Tamron 70-200 2.8, this is a very highly rated lens and will give you reference results. Furthermore you should be using at least one high quality prime lens like the 35mm 1.8 or the 85mm 1.8 to have a good benchmark comparison, IMO.

Canon builds some excellent APS-C Cameras so I could see why you might switch back. However, I understand its the low-light performance that attracts you to Nikon and the low-light performance is really good on Nikons 16MP Sensor also the DR and the ability to push shadows. However Canon may have better out-of-Camera Jpegs, I don't know this for sure but there is a certain tendency to shoot more raw in the Nikon camp and post-process to get the most out of ones captures (...).

Also do this: use live view to focus and see if you get sharper results, live view does contrast based focusing as opposed to PDAF, so there is a very good chance your sharpness issue will play out to be PDAF issue.

You might end up to be quite happy if you send your D7000 in and get it serviced for inaccurate focusing, many did this and came up satisfied.

Cheers

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow