*** This Week through YOUR m43 2013.04.01 ***

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,020Gear list
Like?
An initiation in New Guinea
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks, Bob. I like this thread very much.

I'm on the road, just flew into Brisbane, Australia from Papua New Guinea today on a trip that was never going to be pleasant for various reasons but which has turned nasty kn every possible way. Except that I am -- slowly -- getting to Melbourne. Fly there tomorrow.

In the week before Easter (Easter was one of the confounding factors in this journey -- I hadn’t realized it was happening so soon! The downside of being an irreligious old b-stard! LOL) I was fortunate enough to be invited to get some pix of an initiation of a young guy ot higher status in a village near where I live in Rabaul/Kokopo, East New Britain.

A fun time as had by all!

The  candidate flanked by aunties and surrounded by blokes dancing with leaves (I suffered a bright red eye from being slapped across the eye by a sugar cane leaf but soldiered on!)

Under quite severe provocation, the candidate had to keep an expressionless face throughout. He succeeded -- being unmoved.

An important part of the ceremony was the giving of gifts of tambu -- shell money -- made by threading tiny, pierced cowrie shells on to cane. Eight baskets of tambu were given.

Men and women danced to celebrate the occasion -- totally freestyle hip-hop to local paua ben music (power band = electric/electronic instruments and amplifiers). Naturally your photographer, after snatching some shots, joined in to uphold the honor of the Weekly thread -- especially when they played "Oh Kulex", a local favorite. The music is a fusion of islands, rock, hip-hop, and reggae. Pretty interesting!

Inevitably, a local politician made his presence felt with spirited oratory. The Tolais love an orator!

Light was pretty gloomy and overcast so I was a bit desperate for decent exposure at times.

And finally, in deference to Bob stepping up to the plate and initiating the thread this week … The bloke's never seen NY probably -- but it is marvelous what turns up in the second hand clothing stores here (stock mostly from Australia)!

The pix are JPEGs pretty much OOC. The dancing pic was  cropped a little; I lifted contrast and brightness a little in some others, using PhotoLine.

So there you go folks. A great occasion. Unfortunately, I missed some of it due to my contact not being totally on the ball. I'm in Australia for a few weeks and will miss New Guinea dreadfully while I am here.

But one bit of compensation -- it’s wonderful to be on a fast  Internet connection!!!

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FishNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow