If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
SharpGlass
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Re: If you already have the 85 1.4D would you trade 'down' for the 1.8G + cash for other lenses?
In reply to amagbanua, Apr 2, 2013

amagbanua wrote:

I use my 85mm 1.4D mostly for portraits and my son's baseball games.  My exifs show I'm mostly in the F2 on up aperture range.  The 1.8G looks to be sharper than the 1.4D.  Seeing that the 85mm 1.4D still commands a decent price, would I be giving up much other than aperture for trading in for the 1.8G?  Thanks in advance!

BTW, the lens is being used on a D700/800E

Nope, I value the bokeh more than sharpness on 85mm f1.4D shot wide open for subject isolation over the  85mm f1.8G. Besides a losing afantastic bokeh rendered on 9 blade aperature vs. 7 on the f1.8G, you also lose pro build quality and dust & weather proofing.

I'm going in the other direction and upgrading to the nikkor 85mm f1.4G. 

Increasing vision is increasingly expensive. – R. A. Janek (actually Michael Crichton)

SharpGlass's gear list:SharpGlass's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow