Some Firsthand Observations with RX-1 and X100S Side by Side...

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Firsthand Observations with RX-1 and X100S Side by Side...
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 2, 2013

What is it with manufacturers and add-on hot shoe VFs?  The Sony RX1 and the Coolpix A both have very expensive add-on VFs.  (And they're not the first to do so).  I can only conclude that they select that design to be able to pare the core dimensions down to as small as possible for the record, and then potentially make more profit because the mark up on the separate VF amplifies the profit on the whole deal. Then you have to carry this extra 'thing' in the kit and they're potentially easily knocked off, left at home, lost, etc.  And many block the flash shoe in use - a very poor idea from the outset.  The Fuji X series and Sony (with the NEX6&7) got it right.  I really thought that we might have seen the last of add on VFs, but apparently not.

I have a strong interest in small body/ large sensor cameras, but I won't be buying any camera without a built in VF, and if it's an EVF, it needs to be state of the art. A camera should be complete.  Fuji and Sony have both indicated that they are considering an FF ILC - perhaps they're another opportunity for them to get it right.  I'm looking forward to some interesting models in the next year or two.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow