Is there a proper RAW converter (not reducing resolution) for Fuji's EXR sensors?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dpthoughts
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Is there a proper RAW converter (not reducing resolution) for Fuji's EXR sensors?
Apr 2, 2013

Hi,

I'v been doing DSLR (RAW only) in the past, and now I'm also keen on a TRULY pocketable digicam (for doing RAW only).

Fuji's X-F1 draws my attention here, because it seems having a good sensor (good dynamic range), bundled with a good (still very compact) lens. At least, the review at blog.mingthein.com (Nov 2012) said: "the lens quality is very impressive - better than the Zeiss-branded lens on the Sony RX100. It doesn't suffer from the same flare or low contrast at wide angle and f1.8; the corners are also much sharper".

The only flaw really is the reduced resolution, easily evident from DPReview's studio scene comparison tool. I attribute this to the unability of RAW converters to deal appropriately with the exotic CFA (color filter array) pattern of Fuji's EXR sensor (see www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10/9 "Fujifilm EXR technology explained"), where a pixel has ist four neighbors not in horizontal/vertical, but in diagonal directions.

Contemporary RAW converters seem optimized for traditional Bayer patterns, which explains, that they almost fail on fuji EXR's pattern, in terms of dropping lots of its possible resolution. I suspect, that Adobe's ACR results are so blurry (even worse than out-of-camera JPEGs), because ACR simply merges two diagonal neigbouring pixels into one (or simply ignores every second pixel?), so that traditional Bayer demosaicking methods can be applied again. At least that would explain to me, why ACR results on Fuji EXR-RAWs are loosing out so much resolution detail (when compared to the competitors' cameras with their traditional Bayer-patterned sensor filter).

Now, the obvious QUESTION to you: Are you aware of a RAW converter, which offers an [alternative] RAW interpolation method, which does not depend on assuming a Bayer pattern? So that the original EXR resolution is preserved better? Many thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow