Senior MemberPosts: 4,657
Like?
Re: Neat
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 2, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

DX viewfinders are brighter Mako, as measured by Marianne.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Who's Marianne? Regardless, maybe I didn't know about her 2 months ago. : )

Marianne Oelund, aka Moon Maid, aka Ms. Nikon, was responsible for the research that identified Nikon's Hot-Pixel Suppression routine that had the unfortunate side effect of eradicating faint stars from images. Thom Hogan took this information to Japan and it was instrumental in Nikon improving the algorithm (although not entirely eliminating the effect, IIRC), making Nikon's DSLRs more respectable for astrophotography.

http://www.dpreview.com/members/8931023692

Discovering a problem

A brief history of Nikon hot-pixel suppression

Cool. and thanks for providing the info. Good reads...What does that have to do with comparing viewfinders though?  That would be the link I'm looking for as The D4 seems a bit brighter a viewfinder than my old d70. As she points out..many other things come into play. Perhaps brightness is not the right word. Perhaps DXO needs a M-PIX type measurement for perceived viewfinder clarity and comfort I should have not hinted at absolutes as other design features come into play. Bigger does not always mean brighter when spot measured certainly

The links that I posted weren't intended to show anything related to viewfinders. They were to demonstrate the profound abilities, knowledge and skills of Ms. Oelund in order to lend credibility to what Jim Pearce wrote ("DX viewfinders are brighter Mako, as measured by Marianne.") Now that I have a little more time I searched google and quickly (less than a minute, only one search term tried) found several posts in one thread that touched on viewfinder brightness. It's not surprising that Jim recalled this since it was in the thread that he started four months ago. Here are links to three of Marianne's replies. The first deals with the D800's viewfinder, with a chart comparing the apparent viewfinder brightness vs. the aperture. The second has general information about how the viewfinder and its screen works. The third is where she specifically answered Jim's question, which is quoted here.

Brightness versus lens aperture

Marianne Oelund wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

It's interesting that something that is measurable hasn't been measured. D800 users see many subjective things, and one of those is the "big bright viewfinder". Funny, but I'm pretty sure the D800 viewfinder is darker than the one on my D300.

You're not imagining anything.

Sorry to say, I no longer own a D300, but I do have a few D2-series bodies plus an assortment of newer FX models - D3s, D4, D800E.  I cannot guarantee that results from the D2x will match the D300 (quoted D2x viewfinder mag. is 0.86x versus 0.94x for the D300), but they are still illuminating:

RAW sensor data from a D3s "observer" camera looking into the viewfinder of the test-camera, shows that the D3s and D800E viewfinder images are 0.45 stops dimmer than the D2x.  The D4 comes in slightly lower still, at 0.53 stops dimmer than the D2x.  [I should caution those who wish to check this using a camera's exposure meter, that the meter does not give an accurate comparison.]

The FX cameras produce a viewfinder image at our retinas which is 25% wider than the D2x's (or about 15% wider than the D300's if my estimate is correct).  The FX cameras require a 70mm lens to produce a 1x (life-size) viewfinder image, while the D2x requires only about a 56mm lens.

Truth revealed

By the way, I wonder if something went wrong with the last part of your reply that ends with brighter when spot measured certainly

It looks ok in your reply, but when quoted, it was followed by a solid gray bar extending the full width of the editing window. I see it here too after copying and pasting the "brighter when..." quote. I guess that you won't see it unless you also do a "Reply with quote". It makes me wonder if part of your original reply was truncated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Who.New
NeatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow