Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Pretentious Latin twaddle and lens distortion Re: Is Full frame still the most versatile?
In reply to Draek, Apr 2, 2013

Draek wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

What, to waste my time learning the classics?

Philosophy and Mathematics are never a waste of time.

Agreed.

Anyway, go look over numerous lens tests and you will see the wider lenses are more prone to barrel distortion and then added to that is way greater depth of field.

Yup. Wider. As in FOV. A 12mm lens is not a wide on 1/1.7", much like how a 120mm isn't a telephoto on large format.

Well, the distortion graphs I see show the same distortion whether or not the sensor size changes. A simple test would be to use a compass and draw circles from large to small, with the smaller circles sitting inside the bigger ones. Then draw a series of squares over, in the same manner, smaller squares centred inside the larger ones, with the squares sitting on top of the circles. you will see that the curve angle of those circles is pretty much the same within the large squares as it is for the smaller ones. For squares read sensors and for circles read angle of distortion.

A 12mm lens requires more effort on the part of the lens maker to make a good lens than it does to make a 50mm, whether or not that lens is sitting in front of a small sensor or a large one. Or to put it another, make a 12mm lens with no attempt to correct distortion and do likewise with a 24mm lens; stick the 12mm on a Four Thirds sensor and the 24mm on a 35mm cam, and I think you will find that the 24mm does better.

So like I said before, mFT has more of a problem going wide than ff (well, if you don't want that huge depth of field).

Nope, they're equal. Unless by "FF" you meant 35mm SLRs, in which case they're considerably worse, though that's due to the SLR part rather than the 35mm.

I don't get ya?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow