Bird in flight with D90

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,512Gear list
Like?
Re: Bird in flight with D90
In reply to Huyen Olson, Apr 2, 2013

I am not a big fan of matrix metering.  You always have to add or subtract ev!  I would rather spot meter in manual mode.  Then, I just move the two dials to get the exposure I want.  In my exif, you will see matrix for my shots.  But, I set up the fn button (inset to the right of the lens) for spot metering.  Then, I can use the focal point to spot meter select areas in a scene.  Often, the brightest part of a scene is in the sky.  I will spot meter that and then overexpose that spot 1-2 stops usually by slowing down my shutter speed.  With birds in flight, you want to make sure your shutter speed is appropriately fast.  I shoot raw so I can recover the brighter details. Once I set the exposure, I am fine . . . until the light changes.  One of the few good things about cloudy weather is the light is pretty even.  If the light is changing a lot, I will switch to aperture mode with some   -ev (usually).  Auto iso is good because you can set a minimum shutter speed.  Shutter priority is something I use, too, if setting the exact shutter speed is key.  A lot of this comes more from shooting sports than birds.  I am no expert but the more you know how to control exposure in different ways the better.  You seem to have good control of the autofocus. Getting sharp shots is a very good place to start.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow