Internet service for a remote area?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
NWWayne
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Internet service for a remote area?
In reply to aVolanche, Apr 2, 2013

Do you really mean a "VERY remote" location? If so you will probably have no choice but satellite. Remember that in terms of area, MOST of the country does not have cable, DSL or wireless internet and that in many areas good celluar connections can be difficult.

If instead, you mean a rural but not "VERY remote" area you may have one or two wireless ISPs, and one or two celluar services. If you are rural but within a few miles of a reasonable size town (2000 to 3000 or more population) DSL may be available.

If DSL is available, it is usually offers the best price - performance.

Celluar internet tends to be quite expensive, especially if you use it heavily.

Wireless internet connections can be a good compromise, much faster and more reliable than dial-up, but slower than cable or DSL. The price varies, but is usually in the range of $40 to $70 per month depending on the bandwidth you order.

Satellite pricing is similar, but usually rises steeply with bandwidth and data volume. Satellite internet also exhibits latency problems with many websites.

I lived in a rural area with the kind of internet connection problems you describe for many years, and now that I'm semi-retired, I moved to a moderately remote area with the same kinds of problems.

NWWayne

Excuse me if this appears more than once, for some reason my posting does not work properly today.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow