what are you shooting at 300-400mm ?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Sports (and maybe portraits from farther away)
In reply to jubilatu, Apr 2, 2013

I am analysing the possibility of buying a 300mm f/4 for sport (not much till now), concerts (a few times per year) and portraiture (which i did at 85-105mm till now) . Wildlife, insects & stuff are not my interest for the moment.  I was looking at flickriver for lens having these focals, but your direct answers would be more helpful.

So, I am just curious what are you shooting at these focals in order to understand if i will use the lens (my first over the 105mm barier) or i just let it to cath dust.

A 300mm lens would do a good job for shooting sports, although often it's not quite long enough to cover the width of the field, and can get too tight if the action gets too close.

If you're shooting a lot at night, or want to get slightly better background blur, consider a 300mm f/2.8. A 300/2.8 is heavy, though, so a 300mm f/4 sounds like a good idea.

You can also shoot portraits with it, but you'll have to stand farther away than you're used to with the 105mm. 300mm can give some very good background blur.

300mm f/2.8 AF-I, at f/2.8, 1/350s, ISO 10159

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow