Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?
Re: Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?
In reply to theJuke2, Apr 2, 2013

I seriously considered a Mac last time around.  I'm no Microsoft fan, and came to the conclusion that all else equal, I'd rather use a Mac.  But I couldn't justify it in terms of price or configuration.  The iMac is an all-in-one, a type of device I despise (like a TV with a built in DVD player) while the customizable high end Macs run around $3K if I remember.  Well over $2K anyway.  Same deal with laptops; Macs start at $1100ish (not looking at higher end models for photo work, just the cheapest laptop) and a Windows machine that I'd consider equivalent for all practical purposes is around $600.  Arguments over benchmarks and processors become irrelevant, because I'm comparing a Windows machine that's "good enough" to the cheapest Macbook.

The biggest downside to Windows is that crummy installs on inexpensive machines.  I bought my daughter a Thinkpad for Xmas that was much better in this regard.  For my home machine, I shopped a couple of boutique places online that let you customize your own, but that got expensive, so I actually opted to build my own for the first time in my life.

Windows 7 is genuinely decent.  The "user experience" is quite a bit less aggravating than previous versions.  Windows 8 is another matter; I only know it by reputation, not experience.

In short, I think it's kind of like picking a camera - I don't think a Mac is inherently "better" outside of specs for the particular model you're looking at, but I do think that it's a more "enjoyable" computer to use, and for some, that's well worth the money.

Maybe my next machine will be a Linux box

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow