RX100 -Two Thousand images and counting - XCLNT Cruise Camera!!!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
RX100 -Two Thousand images and counting - XCLNT Cruise Camera!!!
Apr 2, 2013

I'm a very experienced digital photographer. So, I felt confident taking an RX100 on a 14 day cruise along with a NEX7.   I had taken about forty test shots with the RX100 before leaving for Port Everglades and the Celebrity Eclipse.

I had tricked the camera out with Peter's grip and the Lensmate filter adaptor as well as a lenshade.   It received numerous comments.  Sony may owe me a bonus.     Crew members on the Eclipse were very interested in having a camera they could take with them from contract to contract.

After using the RX100 and checking image quality on it's very good LCD I could not put the camera down. It was a permanent fixture on my neck from sail away to debarkation.  Image Quality was excellent...

My only observations are:

1). like everyone else - I feel the user interface could use some work

2). How about a 5 - 10% larger form factor and double or triple the optical zoom.

3).  Typically, between shots, I hit the zoom button to retract the zoom.   That action on the RX100 takes you immediately into photo review. It requires touching the shutter button to get the camera back in the right mode and wastes time.

4). Write times in RAW seem long (compared to my prior LX5/3) - It takes a couple of seconds with a class 10 SD card.  So, shot to shot times were longer than what I was used to.

5). Frame grabs while shooting in video yielded a JPG of about 2MB.  And, sometimes that file was not the best quality.

6). There is some distortion in the lens. DXO corrected the distortion.

I need to dig in the manuals a bit and see if I can address any of the concerns above.

There were barely 100 images shot with the NEX7. I relied on the RX100  for the entire cruise.

Bottom Line: I am a very happy RX100 user...And, I don't have a clue when I'll have time to Post process the photos.

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 DxO Optics Pro Standard +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow