*** This Week through YOUR m43 2013.04.01 ***

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,801Gear list
Like?
Departures
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 2, 2013

April 1st is the start of the "new year" in Japan, so all public employees face the possibility of transfer in the days leading up to it.  Makes finding a moving company a real ordeal.  In my case, being on an island, the final sendoff is inherently public with ferries going out at the end of March all accompanied by fanfare, with dancing, streamers attached to the boats and people on the dock holding onto rolls of ribbon.  I never thought to shoot it before, but I always have my m43 bag on me (raison d'être), so I took out the 7-14 on the GH2 and 45-175 on the EM5, and had fun.  Had so much fun in fact, I went back on Sunday and shot with the 45-175 on the EM5 again and the 135L on my 5D2.  You really can't tell the image quality apart, but the give away is that the EM5 results are RIGHT UP IN THE FACE while the 135L has the same kind of separation shot without so much compression.  It would have taken my 300L to manage these kinds of closeups with the FF gear, here the reach difference clearly favors the (almost pocketable) EM5+45-175.  The EM5 shots were at ISO400 the first day, but f5.6 this time of the year is still a bit dark in the late afternoon, so I bumped it to ISO800 on the second (considering the lack of noise, I should probably have gone to ISO1600 for the sake of subject movement).  Anyways, here are some of the m43 shots:

Friday morning, I also (finally) managed to get the moonset on the west coast behind cat rock.  Maybe one or twice a year possible with this angle in early dawn with a near full moon but I have never seen this image before (pre-tourist season, and you have to go deep in the snow to get to this coastal spot)... March weather permitting.

The IBIS worked pretty well.  130mm at 1/100s, and it is pretty sharp to the pixel level.   The moon was soon swallowed by the rising sun/atmospheric haze, so the side-by-side shot at 200mm+ will have to wait till next (next,next,next?) year.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FishNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow