Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,106Gear list
Like?
Re: mFT has eveything FF has except .... Re: Is Full frame still the most versatile?
In reply to 69chevy, Apr 2, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

69chevy wrote:

microFT has pretty much everything Nikon and Canon have except the ability to do focus tracking across the frame effectively.

Don't forget the ability to accurately focus instantly, shoot in incredibly low light with less noise, produce stunning enlargements at 20"x30", achieve much shallower DOF for the same FOV, and shoot wider angles.

Arguing over DOF advantage is expected, but don't forget sports shooters who rely on it. Not for artsy fartsy creativity, but for isolation.

Add this to the better IQ (some may argue) of a FF DSLR, and it becomes clear which camera can do more (versatility).

I'll give you the two benefits gained from a larger sensor - low light with less noise and shallower DoF, but the rest of your post is bollocks.

Really? So you think a sensor needing a 17x enlargement of it's pixels to produce a 20"x 30" print will be on par with pixels needing a 4.5x enlargement? Did you forget the sensor is nearly 4x smaller?

Do you really think a M 4/3 camera can out focus a 5d3 with an f2.8 lens on it?

These are the only two points you "didn't give me".

I would love to see a 20" x 30" print from a M 4/3 of any moving object shot at 300mm. I am sure it would be lovely.

20x30" is over 150DPI from a 16MP sensor. It's not exactly challenging. Don't forget, it's not very long ago that we had to print from far smaller files to those dimensions.

I'd love to tell you whether an OM-D with its basic kit lens could outpace a 5d3's focus, but I don't have any accurate way of measuring such a small time gap. Don't mistake m4/3s focussing with live view on a DSLR. It's basically too fast to measure without video recording..

You forgot wide angle. As all systems stop at 14mm FF for rectilinear lenses, or 180 degree FoV for fisheyes - that's another error on your behalf.

As for your last point, aside from the moving goalposts, there's heaps of examples in the m4/3s forums. 300mm is only 150mm in m4/3s land, so there's no shortage of examples. People shoot that sort of stuff with the kit 40-150.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow