Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Fat Dragon
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: For power users, the Mac really does win. Here's why.
In reply to fyngyrz, Apr 2, 2013

fyngyrz wrote:

A Mac with lots of RAM and a good CPU, running VMWare, can give you OSX, Windows and linux. All at once.

So there is no software from any of the three OS's that you cannot run. No limits whatsoever on what you can do with, or to, your images.

You can't do this legitimately on a PC. But you can on a Mac.

I run this way, and I hop around between PC software, Mac Software and linux software without a moment's break or worry. No rebooting, no problems seeing files from one OS to the other, printer drivers in one OS shared with the others, all working just fine.

This is moderately advanced use of a machine, and as I implied at the top, you almost certainly want a "big" Mac to do this with. Mine is 3 GHz, 8 cores, and has plenty of RAM. I run six monitors right now and could go to eight without a problem if I needed more space.

You can also buy a machine too small for your needs (on any platform) and I'd have to say that what you really want is advice from someone who understands what you do, how you like to do it, what might expand that experience without making it less fun and/or good. Not everyone is happy learning new environments; some of us, quite legitimately, just want to process our images.

-- hide signature --

The italicized section above is true only because Apple's terms of service for OSX state that it may only be used on their computers. Monopoly arguments aside, there's no technical specification preventing you from doing the same thing on a PC.

With regards to that system (the bolded '"big" Mac'), it's a several thousand dollar investment and could be outdone by a PC builder with a $2000 budget. Either one is probably out of your budget for an editing machine.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow