Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
photo32
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Lemon ratio
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Apr 2, 2013

Majikthize wrote:

Every company makes some lemons, including Apple. Even so, it easily leads the pack in surveys on reliability and customer satisfaction. The support can't be beat, either, especially if you live near an Apple Store.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

And if you don't happen to live down the street from an Apple store then you're out of luck. Try buying a replacement part in a hurry that will actually fit a Mac anywhere but Apple.

At least with most PC's (desktops) the components are still largely generic. I have a 4-5 year old Dell Core-i7 desktop and it has performed faultlessly for all that time until a power supply started to fail intermittently. A quick trip to the local PC store and I was out of trouble.

But the OP asked about a photography workstation. You can quote all the consumer reports you want on satisfaction/reliability and somebody will find a conflicting one. The key software runs on both PC and Mac these days and Windows and OS-X are just variations on a theme when all you're doing is running off-the-shelf software.

If you like using a PC and are comfortable then there's no reason to change other than the adventure of it. The Mac really only has the ready-to-go high-res display in the 27" model to separate it from the pack - you just have to look a little harder to find an equivalent display for the PC but they are out there.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow