Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
fyngyrz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 2, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

fyngyrz wrote:

One thing about a Mac (OSX) is that you can run Windows and/or linux in a VM. You can't legitimately run OSX under Windows.

So while you can run any windows program on a modern Mac, you can't run any Mac program on a Windows machine.

But the purpose of buying a Mac machine so you can run Windows software in a VM eludes me.

Well, that would be because that's not the purpose. The purpose is so you can run Mac software. And Windows software. And linux software. Which is not the same thing at all. Want to run Aperture? You can. You can't do that on a Windows machine. Want to run Logic? You can. You can't do that on a Windows machine. Want to run OmniOutliner? You can. You can't do that on a Windows machine.

And, in addition, you can run windows software.

And, in addition, you can run linux software.

For power users, this is heaven. For those who aren't familiar or willing to explore the wealth of cool stuff available on every platform, it's a meh. But it still isn't "buying a Mac to run windows software."

If I want to run Windows software I can do that on a Windows machine. A more important question would be - What software can I run on a Mac that I cannot run on a Windows machine. Clearly Aperture, but what else? And is there software that runs on a Mac that does not have a superior alternative that runs on a Windows machine?

Yes. Aperture is one of those; it's better than Lightroom by quite a bit. Non modal, better library management, more powerful image adjustment tools, faster. There's a pretty decent sized (though still very incomplete) list of Mac-only apps on Wikipedia somewhere... um... yeah, here.

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks for telling me. It is never a bad day when I learn something I did not know.

Likewise, and my pleasure. Tomorrow the shoe is likely to be on the other foot several times, lol.

I worked in software development for 25 years

I got 'cha by a little bit. Started in 1970 on "big iron" and built my first microprocessor based machine (a 4004 and a lot of TTL) in 1973. 42 years so far and still coding.

on a lot of different machines - proprietary hardware, Unix machines, Windows machines, Macs and others. I was (and still am) familiar with OSX and I don't personally think that it is easier than Windows and certainly not easier than Unix to get around and "do stuff".

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but if you want to approach it that way, you can do it the same way, with the same libraries and etc., as linux. It's just that most mac users will look askance at an X environment.

But let me agree that this is a matter of opinion -- I find OSX easier to develop for than Windows. There are annoyances, no question, there are on any platform, but there don't seem to be any particular pitfalls. Even cross platform stuff like Qt seems to work best under OSX, for whatever reason. I can cite examples if you like.

The bottom line, though, is that a Mac, running OSX, is a terrific platform for running all three of the most common operating systems. Simultaneously. Because of this, right now, in the hands of someone who know what they're doing, it's the most capable platform, hands down.

I do not wish to get involved in what often becomes a "religious argument".

That's not a religious point. It's a fact. You can run all three OS's on a Mac. Legally and efficiently and concurrently and in a well-supported manner. You can't do that under Windows. Or linux.

Because these machines can, and do, run anything, then any argument other than hardware based (cost... ultimate CPU speed, etc.) lands in favor of the Mac -- as soon as you say "but I can run X under this other OS" the response is "then it'll run on the Mac", and equality is achieved. Then you add the OSX apps -- which you can't do the other way around -- and software superiority is achieved.

Again, ignoring hardware costs for the moment. It's definitely a power user's environment, but when you climb the ladder, this is, in fact, what you find at the top.

Six monitors, OSX, linux, Windows, all running on one 8-core Mac Pro.

-- hide signature --
 fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow