Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,553
Like?
Re: Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 1, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

One thing about a Mac (OSX) is that you can run Windows and/or linux in a VM. You can't legitimately run OSX under Windows.

So while you can run any windows program on a modern Mac, you can't run any Mac program on a Windows machine.

But the purpose of buying a Mac machine so you can run Windows software in a VM eludes me. If I want to run Windows software I can do that on a Windows machine.

You can run Windows or Unix software side by side with Mac software and copy/paste between them and access the same files. Many times, it's hard to tell that some apps aren't Mac native.

In other words, Macs run the most software.

A more important question would be - What software can I run on a Mac that I cannot run on a Windows machine. Clearly Aperture, but what else? And is there software that runs on a Mac that does not have a superior alternative that runs on a Windows machine?

Final Cut, Keynote, Xcode (for iOS development), Pixelmator, BBEdit and many, many more.

The bottom line, though, is that a Mac, running OSX, is a terrific platform for running all three of the most common operating systems. Simultaneously. Because of this, right now, in the hands of someone who know what they're doing, it's the most capable platform, hands down.

I do not wish to get involved in what often becomes a "religious argument". In all of my time doing software development I have run into enough people who were (and are) OSX fanatics. That is fine for them and I am happy if they are happy. I am not saying that the Mac, running OSX, is not a "terrific platform" but so is a PC running Windows if it is used properly. And, for that matter, so is a PC running Linux.

There are also Windows fanatics, who refuse to even look at alternatives.

If what someone wants is a capable machine, then it is hard to beat a 5 year old PC running Unix.

Depends on what you need to do. For a lot of people, that would be about the worst possible choice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow