Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
fyngyrz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428Gear list
Like?
For power users, the Mac really does win. Here's why.
In reply to theJuke2, Apr 1, 2013

A Mac with lots of RAM and a good CPU, running VMWare, can give you OSX, Windows and linux. All at once.

So there is no software from any of the three OS's that you cannot run. No limits whatsoever on what you can do with, or to, your images.

You can't do this legitimately on a PC. But you can on a Mac.

I run this way, and I hop around between PC software, Mac Software and linux software without a moment's break or worry. No rebooting, no problems seeing files from one OS to the other, printer drivers in one OS shared with the others, all working just fine.

This is moderately advanced use of a machine, and as I implied at the top, you almost certainly want a "big" Mac to do this with. Mine is 3 GHz, 8 cores, and has plenty of RAM. I run six monitors right now and could go to eight without a problem if I needed more space.

You can also buy a machine too small for your needs (on any platform) and I'd have to say that what you really want is advice from someone who understands what you do, how you like to do it, what might expand that experience without making it less fun and/or good. Not everyone is happy learning new environments; some of us, quite legitimately, just want to process our images.

-- hide signature --
 fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow