Lens dust and legal threat.

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,052Gear list
Like?
A place to put the lens, and the dust not seen......
In reply to miked58, Apr 1, 2013

miked58 wrote:

Perhaps some forum members can suggest sensible ideas.

I sold a used lens in mint condition, unmarked and fully functioning. I did the usual check and ensured no visible dust or fungus, went over every feature etc.

Several weeks later the recipient is threatening legal action unless I refund the entire money. They complained dust was now visible in the lens.

They said the dust had been there for years and that a shop had verified this. My response was I believe fair and I can not see how you determine when dust entered. I have offered to get the Canon service Centre to look at it if necessarily at my cost.

The purchaser is aggressive and not prepared to consider anything but a refund or legal threats.

-- hide signature --

Canon 650D, Canon 600D, Oly E-pm1, EFS 15-85mm IS, efs 10-22mm, 24-70L, 100-400L, 24-105L, EFS 18-135 STM, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, EFS 55-250mm IS, 580EX, Hensel and Elinchrom studio lights, Canon Ixus 80IS

HI!

Though not tactful, I can think of a place that the buyer can mount his lens where the dust won't be visible...

Seriously, he bought a used lens, kept it for a few weeks.

For all you know, he may have done this, figuring he could pressure you into taking it back while he used the lens and avoided renting one. More likely, buyers remorse.

And I for one, would expect some dust is a used zoom lens anyway, especially a lens that is designed to have air sucked in and out of it.

If he wants to be so picky, he should be buying new, or at least from a reseller like KEH.

And among all the specks of dust in working lenses, how many actually cause a visible problem in the image?

Listen to the advice that says to ignore him and his threats of legal action.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow