Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
fyngyrz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 1, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

My problem with Macs is that buying one restricts your software options tremendously. Lots of the software I currently doesn't exist for Macs.

One thing about a Mac (OSX) is that you can run Windows and/or linux in a VM. You can't legitimately run OSX under Windows.

So while you can run any windows program on a modern Mac, you can't run any Mac program on a Windows machine.

This can matter, because there are some imaging programs, such as Aperture, which are no available for the PC.

So the best of all worlds turns out to be a Mac.

I run OSX, Windows and linux all at the same time. Admittedly, I'm a power user, but the ability to do so is inexpensive and trivial to manage with VMWare.

So when I want to run my Windows WinImages, no problem. When I want to run my OSX Aperture, I do it in OSX. I can run them both at the same time. Then when I want to run my heavily customized linux version of the Gimp, I just click on it and off I go.

1) Sagelight - a very nice editor, but not available for the Mac,

2) SNS-HDR - my preferred HDR software, but not available for the Mac,

3) Campground Navigator - the software I use to map and find camping sites. Not available for the Mac,

4) Acronis backup software - the software I use to make disc images (my preferred backup method), not available for the Mac,

All of these run just fine in a VM on a Mac. No need for a dedicated Windows machine there.

There are other software packages I use on my PC that are not available for the Mac and some which I believe are available in more limited versions. I also sometimes write software and have the same sort of issue. The software I use (mostly Visual C# and Visual C) are not available for use on the Mac.

Au contraire. I run Microsoft's Visual Studio on the Mac doing C++ development. Works great. I do Windows software work there. No reboots, no inconvenience, just click and run within a Windows virtual machine.

There are alternatives (Java and Objective C) but there seems to be little interest in writing software for such a limited market.

Um... no. As it happens, I'm a software developer, and I've stopped making new software for Windows. I'm still maintaining some packages, hence my continued use of Visual Studio,  but the majority of my work is for the Mac now. You can develop on the Mac in a huge range of languages, including C#, C, C++, and all of the scripting languages from Python to Ruby to whatever. You can use the GCC toolchain, Apple's developer tools, Visual Studio in a VM, linux dev tools... it's a developer's ideal workspace, really.

I have nothing against the Mac and bought an AirBook for my wife. She had it for 2 days and wanted a PC instead. There is something to be said for familiarity of use.

No question about it. But that your wife found an unfamiliar environment... unfamiliar... is hardly relevant to the OP's question, is it?

Once someone *is* familiar with OSX, it is pretty much a doddle to get around in, certainly more so than Windows. But if it's Windows someone needs, OSX doesn't get in the way -- it make it downright easy.

The real trick with OSX is if you don't know your way around, then you're not the one to be picking computers or software. Because like any computer, you can end up with something underpowered for your needs, missing critical software, lacking information you need to be successful, etc.

This is no one's fault other than Apple's (and Microsoft's, when it's Windows we're talking about) but it's a fact: If you have good advice and guidance, success is a great deal more likely.

The bottom line, though, is that a Mac, running OSX, is a terrific platform for running all three of the most common operating systems. Simultaneously. Because of this, right now, in the hands of someone who know what they're doing, it's the most capable platform, hands down.

-- hide signature --
 fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow