Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: What other lenses?
In reply to Mr Jam, Apr 1, 2013

Mr Jam wrote:

Mark,

Fantastic blog.  I do runway fashion shows using Pentax.  Runway shows are almost like sport photography since you get lots of movements.

I use the K5 original and it is wonderful in terms of color and high ISO.  My "runway zooms" are Tamron 28-75, f2.8 and DA*50-135, f2.8.  However, unlike your experience, 50-135 is slow in focus tracking when the subject is moving toward me.  Tamron also gets frequent soft focus images in lower light with even stationary subjects despite the focus confirmation.

What other lenses besides 50-135 works for you for sports photography?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jam,

I remember doing runway shows and I agree with you that the model moving vertically toward you is a tricky one on previous K bodies.  There was a time when the editors wanted the static pose at the end of the ramp,  then it transitioned to the perceivable mid-step in transit view.  It was those that I had trouble locking tack sharp AF.

I haven't shot runway in a while,  but when I shoot basketball the speed of a point guard of a transition office is manageable with a K5II and DA* 50-135.  It's during the ultra quick charging of a mid fielder or cross to a wing of soccer  that makes tracking difficult.

For sports I use the DA* 200 and DA* 300.  Hands down the DA* 300 is IMO one of the best lenses you can shoot wide open.  The 200,  i stop down to 3.2 or 3.5,  but I can shoot at 2.8.  *Funny thing about the DA 200.  When I haven't used it in awhile, the AF SDM is a bit sluggish.  I often have to massage it with manual twists of the AF barrel and with near to far AF-lock drills before it primes itself to full working ability.  -Makes me worry if the SDM might drop on me. (but it hasn't yet,  so knock on wood)

-- hide signature --

Managing Director Alon Philippines Surf & Travel
www.alonphilippines.com
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine
Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow