Resolution of M43 lenses

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,289Gear list
Like?
Re: Dropoff seems like a greater problem to me...
In reply to Dr_Jon, Apr 1, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about lens distortion not focal length effects.

DXO would profile the lens themselves and if available (it is for the 12-35) use that information, ignoring the much simpler data in the Raw file, they would also do selective sharpening based on the local lens sharpness. BTW they have different profiles for OOC JPEGs (which they can also handle) and Raw files, for kinda obvious reasons. (Although I would only feed it a JPEG if a Raw wasn't available and I had a problem - perhaps when I start doing time-lapses, but not to date.)

Yes, I know DxO profile lenses themselves, e.g., for sharpening. But it would surprise me if what they do with regard to geometric distortion correction of RAWs from MFT equipment differs more than marginally, from what the in-camera jpeg engine or other RAW converters, e.g., LR would do. According to Lenstip, the in-camera jpeg engine leaves only -1.39 percent worth of barrel distortion from the 12-35/2.8 at 12 mm, which, as a rule, is barely visible. Your example sounded quite dramatic so could you please post the samples you were talking about and we'll have a look.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow