Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brueghel
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
From the D5100 to the D7100: Impressions and a question
Apr 1, 2013

I'm no professional photographer at all. I owned a Pentax SLR for 25 years. Took many many pictures with it. And then it started dying. Repair, repair and reclean. I got fed up and jumped on the digital train in 2005 with a basic Canon (A90: a nice camera).

The A90 limitations made me quickly buy a D40X, a great little camera. Then in 2011 I went to buy a D7000 and came out of the shop with a D5100.

I loved my D5100 too. It takes great pictures. But it lacked one basic thing: being able to shoot "naturally" in Manual mode. So I happily succumbed to the marketing hype and upgraded to the D7100

Wow ! It's not the same world. The D3xxx and D5xxx series are very close, then there is a big ocean and the D7100 sits on the other side.

So far I absolutely dont regret my move but I feel I am holding the wheel of a Ferrari although I have only driven Toyota Corolla all my life.

=========

My question : I own the Nikon 18-200mm zoom. It is the best worst optics I ever had. I love it. It produced many many great pictures inside the house and outside.

I have used it often to take pics of little kids running around the house. Automatic mode (without flash). Never a problem even at 5 - 6 feet.

I tried the same with the D7100. The results were horrific. It could not focus properly, chose 1/20 and 1/30 (so the pics were badly blurred) etc. With the flash it was way better but the built in flas, hum...

So I took my prime lens and things improved.

Why in the world would the D5100 yield better results then the D7100 in automatic (no flash) modewith the 18-200 zoom ?????

Nikon D3X Nikon D40X Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
humNew
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow