a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
mrmjs
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Re: a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?
In reply to MikeNannie, Apr 1, 2013

MikeNannie wrote:

mrmjs wrote:

Nothing special, just a picture of a bottle here.. iso 1600 with sony 50f1.8 on a tripod. Looks like the 580 missed focus, but the noise can be seen. 100% crops

-- hide signature --

-Matt

I downloaded the large files from your gallery and loaded them into LR 4. To be honest, I couldn't see much difference in the noise until I zoom in to about 300%.

To me, both appear to have about the same amount of noise, but the a77 has bigger noise pixels (slightly) and appears less smooth (more coarse). But, moving the noise reduction slider to the right on either image seems to have about the same affect. Both files seem to respond pretty well (for jpgs). Once you get past about 20, you start seeing a noticeable loss of sharpness / contrast.

Maybe it's my monitor ... another item on my shopping / wish list

Thanks for posting these images, very interesting.

I can send you the raw files if you want.. Between the two camera's the a77 wins hands down, for what I do with it anyway. A perfect example is the sharpness of the shot I posted. I was able to micro adjust the AF with the a77, I completely forgot there was a slight BF with that lens on the a580.

-- hide signature --

-Matt

mrmjs's gear list:mrmjs's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow