Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243
Like?
Re: Wrong... wrong... wrong
In reply to joger, Apr 1, 2013

joger wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

I really do hope that Canon releases some of their research work instead of maintaining their sensor line for years plus enhancing their signal processing only.

At that time, Canon said the 52Mp sensor had less noise than any of their production cameras. That would give us 32Mp at 7D size and 83Mp FF.

But they have progressed to bigger and better:

Photokina 2010 - Madison Photo newsletter:
"Canon also showed images taken with their new 120 Megapixel sensor. One image filled a wall and no trace of digital noise could be seen. It was absolutely amazing."

That may be a bit too much, but a 32Mp 7DII with 1DX AF would be good.

Dan

I'd be happy with some 24 MPixel - since the data has to be computed in the camera and 10 fps of RAW files make 240 Mpixel per second. The 1Dx computes some 220 MPixel per second of RAW images.

Here is what Canon said about 1DX:

"The Camera With Three Brains
The EOS-1D X features three DIGIC processors, including Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors capable of delivering approximately 17 times more processing speed than DIGIC 4, and a dedicated DIGIC 4 for metering and AF control."

With  17 times more processing speed than DIGIC 4, the processor is not limiting speed, but mirror movement and maybe shutter. The 7D is also "The Camera With Three Brains" as would be 7DII.

I don't think that an action camera needs more then 21 till 25 Mpixel - there is still plenty of pixels to crop if you're not perfectly aligned and you don't have to store too many pixels on your memory card.

What I would want to get though is a better S/N ratio on a similar pixel level as my 5D II in the crop format - that would be sufficient for my taste.

the current 7D is far off - especially at slightly higher ISOs.

Just for the record - I am no ISO 25 k shooter

But ISO 3200 is something I often use especially in critical light situations or when I need a faster aperture - especially with moving objects.

I would settle for  ISO 3200 level of D7100, but think Canon can do better.

If canon could do that in a reasonable weighted package with built in WiFi and GPS that would be worth 2.5 k USD easily

Me too!

and two years later a slightly better 4x Mpixel 5D II successor at the price point of the 5D II plus inflation thus below 3 k USD

I would buy both and sell my two 5D IIs

If I wanted a FF, maybe for landscape, I would get D800. Short lenses are cheap.

Dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
1+New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow