Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,486Gear list
Like?
Versatile for what?
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 1, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

Yes, they are big cameras, but with the constant apeture pro zoom lens they are (probably) the only lenses you will ever need. The DOF equivalent on, say, the new Tamron 2.8 24-70 will never happen on m4/3, since it would require an aperture of 1.4 throughout the zoom range, thats never going to happen!

I suppose its just a shame there is no a 2.8 constant zoom lens that extends to around 85mm on FF that allows for good portraits. 70 is too short.

A zoom is more "versatile" but a prime can often produce nicer results. It depends what range of features you plan make use of. If shallow DOF and good bokeh were a priority, I certainly would not use any zoom, professional or otherwise.

The most versatile in a sense is the D800, primarily because even in DX mode I have 16MP. This does allow a great deal of freedom when choosing lenses for a sporting event, and can even up the frame rate to 6fps with a grip.

But I do 90% of my shooting with an Xe1 because I can drop the camera in a regular shoulder bag and take it with me all the time, not just when I'm specifically on a photo trip. That also makes it versatile.

Long ago I stopped believing I could use one camera for everything, and decided a good FF SLR and a CSC made the best possible combination.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow