Amazon Glacier: the perfect photo archival service?

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ajy
ajy
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
Re: Amazon Glacier: the perfect photo archival service?
In reply to Victor Engel, Apr 1, 2013

Victor Engel wrote:

Unless they've changed (I believe they have, but I don't know what the changes are), Carbonite is a piece of junk. They've burned their bridges with me, and I don't trust them.

Sure, for small amounts of data, it seems to work fine but they throttle you after a modest amount of data. By default, they only back up a small subset of file types. If a file goes missing, and you don't notice for 30 days, they assume you deleted it and delete it from their backup. That defeats the whole purpose of having a backup. I switched from them to Crashplan and have been thrilled with the change. CP was about 5 times as fast, way more reliable, and doesn't delete files when you need them for restore.
--

Another vote for Crashplan.  I've used Mozy in the past, though am switching to Crashplan because of cost.  It would be great if there was a mechanism for also backing up to Glacier as an extra layer of redundancy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow