XZ-10 ISO samples

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,975Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to marike6, Apr 1, 2013

marike6 wrote:

I do appreciate you taking samples, but is it possible to just go outside and take a normal landscape or cityscape image.  Taking cans of food, or newspaper indoors at close range is not all that useful.

Actually he did these because many of us were asking for them.  I think what sets this camera apart from others in its class is the bright lens, which makes it attractive for indoor available light. The question many of us have is whether the brighter lens (f/2.7 at the long end) makes it better for this type of shooting than the Nikon P330 (which is f/5.6 at the long end). The Nikon has the larger sensor, but is the image quality at, say, ISO 1600 better than what the XZ-10 can do at 400? Unfortunately almost all sample photos I have found are at the base ISO.

I've had an easier time finding outdoor landscape/cityscape samples from the XZ-10. Personally I think any modern camera will do very well at base-ISO landscapes and cityscapes (although only a small percentage will be exceptional). It's in lower light that things get interesting, and the samples in this thread look better than I would have expected. True there is more noise and less detail than what my E-M5 can do, but given the difference in sensor sizes the gap isn't what I would have expected. Of course these are just one set of samples and I don't know how much noise reduction was applied, but when it comes to shooting photos of kids and family in available light (which is how my wife will use it) fine detail isn't super important and some noise is fine as well.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow