Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
mFT has eveything FF has except .... Re: Is Full frame still the most versatile?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 1, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

No. It is hampered by the size of lenses it needs, by shallow dof, by cost, and by portability.

Errr, NO.  It all depends on what it is you are trying achieve and what you put first as the most important features.  If size, weight and cost are your prime concerns, then micro43, or maybe the Nikon 1 win.

But for sheer versatility, full frame wins.  Both Nikon and Canon have a complete camera system that far exceeds all others.  That system makes those cameras very versatile.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Hmm, I think I would have to disagree with you there in terms of your claim that Nikon/Canon systems FAR exceeds others.

microFT has pretty much everything Nikon and Canon have except the ability to do focus tracking across the frame effectively.

The mFT system has: macro lenses, portrait lenses, telephoto lenses, primes, zooms, weather sealed bodies, weather sealed lenses (admittedly not as many as Canon or Nikon) remote control and tethering, video (Panasonic video is deemed superior to that of the Canon 5D cams), and there are even tilt and shift adaptors for the system too, added to which you can use almost any lens from any SLR system by way of an adaptor,  and there is also wireless flash.

I would argue that as far as systems go, the mFT system is now up there with Canon and Nikon (all the other systems, Sony, Pentax, Fuji etc lag far behind). If a photographer is happy with the size and weight and image quality of mFT then they will want for nothing really as it's all available (in fact, other than the Canon/Nikon superior af tracking across the frame, I can't really think of anything in either system that is lacking for the mFT shooter (unless I have overlooked something)).

There is of course the additional bonus of mFT in that you have two major players making bodies and lenses for the format.

Regards,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow