Started Apr 1, 2013 | Questions thread
jmcminn1076
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens vs. Nikon 70-200
In reply to Nikonfan99, Apr 1, 2013

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Yes the ranking IMHO is:

1- Nikon- If you try this lens you will know why the price is what it is. I just bought this lens a week or so ago while it was still on sale for $2099. It is AMAZING glass. Great contrast, great colors and very very fast AF. VR is amazing (hand held down to 1/6 and no blur for me). Built like a tank. Hold it and use it and you will want one!

2-Tamron- Tried the new 70-200 2.8 VC in the store. Not as sharp as the nikon 2.8 but did get better at f4. VC is great. Build is not solid as nikon. AF not as fast to me.

3-SIGMA- Not as sharp as the tamron at 2.8 and not close to the nikon at 2.8. Would buy the tamron if you cant affoard the nikon.

At the end of the day, I would save up for the nikon if I was on a budget.

Its a little late to be of use to the OP, but another thing to ask, is how much you need f/2.8.  The Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VR is very good on the IQ side of things.  You lose f/2.8, and the "built like a tank", but the f/4r is half the weight, and in the same price range as the third party f/2.8 lenses.

Obviously if you need/want f/2.8, this isn't an option, but for many people looking at this type of lens, it's something to consider -- the ISOs cameras shoot these days lessen the need to get a super fast zoom in this class quite a bit.

I own the 70-200mm VRII from before this was an option, but find that I rarely shoot it below f/4, and my dad has the new f/4 lens which I like a lot having shot with it some -- the ONLY reason I'd still get the f/2.8 lens over the lighter and less expensive f/4 is that I eventually would like to get a TC-20E III for it.

jmcminn1076's gear list:jmcminn1076's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow