Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,872Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 1, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

Thank you for confirming in such an obvious way that I was right about the point I was making: That your logic is in error.

I was pointing out that metering is irrelevant with regard to the conclusions we can draw from the E-M5-versus-NEX 7 example that Mjankor pointed to. You respond by saying you find metering important in actual shooting. Now what has that got to do with the price of fish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3

Well like I stated before the 70mm Sigma will be here in a couple of days and I'll set them up and shoot side x side and see what the 70mm Sigma has to do with it...that seems to be the key word in the shutter speeds on Image Resource...so I'll know once and for all...hope you and Manjour are right to be honest, just doesn't seem that way from my own experiences...

No. That's not the key point (or word). The key point is that we can check whether cameras behave according to ISO standards by more effective means. And the E-M5 does.

I'll test it against the Nex-7 both with Sigma 70mm and see which has the fastest shutter with same settings...thats the key point to "me"...sorry but it's my nickel and I'll test the way I want when I want and how I want and then report "my" findings...

They sell Sigma 70mm Macros all day everyday if you want to buy your own and do your own testing...

No reason for me to do that. I have no desire for the Sigma 70 macro and the IR test shots suffice. If two cameras have received the same exposure (same light on the sensor) at a certain camera ISO, the ratio between their RAW-level saturation rates should match the ratio between the DxOMark "measured ISOs". For the E-M5 versus D5200 shots that you provided as an example here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51174320

the ratio between the "measured ISOs" at a camera ISO of 800 is 394/547 = 0.72. The corresponding ratio between the saturation level in the IR RAWs (green channel average divided by the clipping point) is 0.102/0.123 = 0.829. Dividing the second ratio by the first provides a measure of the exposure difference and 0.829/0.72 = 1.15, which is approximately 1/5 EV. So IR in fact gave the E-M5 about 1/5 EV more exposure than the D5200 although the EXIF info that you trust leads you to the mistaken conclusion that the difference is a full EV.

Metering is very important to me because I use my cameras at set meterings...Spot or Centerweighted I don't shoot Manual I shoot "A" for fastest possible shutter speeds with lowest possible ISO...

Metering in the conventional sense isn't very important to me any more since the E-M5 live-view highlight warnings provide superior information in most cases. But if the meter doesn't behave as you want it to in your kind of shooting, why not just dial in enough exposure compensation in one direction or the other until it works the way you think it should?

Shooting shaded/lighted areas and different colored birds of various types I am afraid I would miss more shots than it's worth...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow