Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
exapp
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
OMD and 50-200 SWD - FAIL
Apr 1, 2013

I haven't used my E3 much since I picked up and OMD E-M5 last August.  I love the small size and rapid focus as well as the live view, tap to shoot etc.  But I only have the 12-50 lens which is a good kit lens very fast autofocus but very slow lens.

I have some good glass for my E3, 7-14, 12-60, 35-100 and 50-200 so this weekend I decided to give my 50-200 a try on my OMD for nothing serious just my kids on a Easter egg hunt.  The 50-200 allows you to be far enough away to capture unaware great for these kind of snaps....yes snaps...I'm not trying very hard here just wanted the background blur and extended reach of the 50-200.

Well it turned out to be a disaster.  I was expecting the 50-200 to be slow on the OMD but not as slow as 5 seconds....with a 3 year old that is a missed shot. Tried S-AF, Manual, S-AF + Manual, grid AF, single AF etc ....for anything moving it was unusable.  Now my choice of parts to shoot with was bad and I'm not going to moan about the kit I used it was a learning experience and I regret not dusting off my E3.

But when are Olympus going to either....

A. Offer the OMD E-M5 sensor in an E3/E5 type body.  I don't really care about all the other gadgets in the OMD. Fancy IS, tap to focus, video etc would be nice but all i really crave is an up to date sensor with on par DR and on par high ISO performance to use with my good glass.

B.  Offer m43 version of the above listed lenses especially the 12-60 and 50-200 as I reckon these two cover 90% of the photography I like to shoot.

Am I asking for too much?

-- hide signature --

Exapp

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow