Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to D Knisely, Apr 1, 2013

D Knisely wrote:

Enthusiast Photographer wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

From what I have read, Wimberley and RRS plates have same tolerances and will work in lever release clamps from each other. I believe RRS lever clamps will not tightly hold plates from Kirk or Markins. Kirk, Markins, and RRS screw clamps will hold any of them. Markins lever release QR clamps can be adjusted to fit any of the plates but generally are adjusted to fit a specific brand plate, not a routinely recommended field adjustment. I do not know specifically if acratech and Kirk use the same dimensional tolerances (I use Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, and Markins stuff). Kirk and RRS are very friendly and very helpful if you give them a call. I have a RRS replacement foot for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 which attaches the same as original and is compatible with the clamp on ballhead. I think the kirk collar for the f/4 does not need an additional plate as the foot is the plate and should be Arca-Swiss compatible.

Darrell

FWIW, my RRS BH-40 worked just fine with my Kirk L-bracket.   I get the feeling that those issues are in the past, among the major players anyway...

No, unfortunately the tolerances are not what they should be and "A-S" isn't really a precise standard.  The lever clamps just can't be adjusted to work well with all plates.  I work around it by placing some gaffer tape on the edges of the thinner plates to allow my plates to attach to a friend's lever-clamp (yes, the difference between "A-S" plates is that much!).  I have a screw clamp, but only out of laziness (it came with my Markins ballhead, which I hate, but am totally stuck with).

Lemme see if I can parse that sentence:

1. You are stuck with the Markins head
  2. You hate the Markins head
  3. Were you less lazy, you'd change to a lever clamp on the Markins

Is that an accurate decryption?

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow