a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Re: a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?
In reply to MikeNannie, Apr 1, 2013

Mike,

I can not speak on the a99 but I had the a580, have the a77, and wanted the a99.

I had the a580 for 2+ years and learned a lot while using it.  Not to get into a OVF/EVF talk but with the a580 I found myself using LV a lot whereas with the a77 I use LV but the EVF a lot more than the OVF on the a580.  The handling and features on the a77 are an obvious upgrade to the a580 but as mentioned lowlight is not its strength.  In its day the a580 was one of the best for lowlight, all around, and bang for the buck.  That 16mb sensor without the SLT loss of light issue does lowlight about as good as it gets on APS-C.

I added the NEX-5N to the a580 and since they have essentially the same sensor, IQ, and lowlight capability, I decided to sell off the a580 and a few lenses to fund purchasing the a77 w 16-50 and e-mount lenses.   I waited for the a99 reviews to come out before making the move to the a77 but really wanted the a99.  But after getting good fair market value on eBay I still didn't have enough to fund the a99 kit properly.  I like WA and if $ was no option then I would want the a99, Z24 and Z16-35 as mentioned earlier, as well as the Z85, Z135, and Z/Sig/Tam 24-70 for walk around.

For me, I'm using the a77/NEX-5N pair and happy, but the smile would probably be bigger if I had the a99 and Leica M   Wait, who pinched me........ This still is a dream isn't it, Oh....Darn, back to reality.

In summary, get the most kit you can happily afford and go out and use it. That $1100 sounds fair from what I can remember but check completed listings on eBay for current market value. The 24-85 may work well on the a99.  I had the M28-105 that probably would have done well on FF but was a bit long on APS-C.    

-- hide signature --

"If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time." - Robert Doisneau

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow