Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
entlassen
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Apr 1, 2013

Eamon Hickey wrote:

jtan163 wrote:

If I understand it corectly Nikon USA has stopped selling parts t third party repairers in the last few months.

This is a common misconception. Nikon USA still sells parts to independent repair shops -- but the independent repair shop must be an authorized Nikon service center. There are about 20 of those in the U.S., last time I checked, in addition to the two Nikon-owned and operated service centers in New York and California. There is a substantial investment necessary to become Nikon authorized, and most independent repair shops don't spend the money.

What Nikon USA stopped doing was selling parts to independent repair shops who are _also_, not Nikon authorized repair centers.

Your theory might still be partly valid, anyway -- I dunno -- but I think it's worth being precise about what Nikon did, or did not, do.

Unfortunately, camera repairs often require more than just replacement parts.

I called APS in the Midwest US asking them if they fixed the D800's left-AF issue.  They said they didn't have the rig to do D800 calibrations, and that there they have no ETA on when they'll ever get one.  And APS used to be an ex-official Nikon service center, too.  It's too bad, b/c I trust these guys way more than LA/Melville, as they have an excellent reputation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JoeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow