What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,997Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to Anders W, Apr 1, 2013

Anders W wrote:

I tried skipping the aligning stage, as is possible if you are shooting from a tripod and take care not to move the camera at all between shots, and this brought processing time for the nine-image merge I was playing with down to about a minute. Of that, half or so, is probably simply RAW conversion time.

I find that even with my best tripod, which is heavy and sturdy, I still sometimes get misalignment. Slight misalignment can cause minor or even severe artifacts in the final image.

As I often process my images for full-resolution print, good alignment is important to me, but it might not be all that important for most purposes.

I typically check my images for alignment before I use enfuse or another method. If I find that only one image in a series is out of alignment, I avoid extra problems by only aligning the one bad image. Auto-align will often mess up a series of images that actually are well-aligned.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow