Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Nikon so slow at fixing botched repairs?
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Apr 1, 2013

Eamon Hickey wrote:

jtan163 wrote:

If I understand it corectly Nikon USA has stopped selling parts t third party repairers in the last few months.

This is a common misconception. Nikon USA still sells parts to independent repair shops -- but the independent repair shop must be an authorized Nikon service center. There are about 20 of those in the U.S., last time I checked, in addition to the two Nikon-owned and operated service centers in New York and California. There is a substantial investment necessary to become Nikon authorized, and most independent repair shops don't spend the money.

What Nikon USA stopped doing was selling parts to independent repair shops who are _also_, not Nikon authorized repair centers.

Your theory might still be partly valid, anyway -- I dunno -- but I think it's worth being precise about what Nikon did, or did not, do.

I think you're right - it is worth being precise.
That's why I prefaced my comment with "If I understand correctly...", because I was not 100% of the exact nature of the change.

Despite the fact my above sentence sounds smart alecky it's not intended to, I genuinely do appreciate your additional, correct info.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JoeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow