Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,119
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Barrie Davis, Apr 1, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

schmegg wrote:

gwlaw99 wrote:

Trying to catch up here without reading the entire thread.  Can someone explain to me how ISO crept into the discussion when ISO does not effect exposure?  Is the conversation now on whether it is better to use a higher ISO or increase brightness in post processing?

Hehe!

Indeed!

ISO should only enter the discussion at all if you intend to change it to achieve the exposure shift. And, even then, given all the other factors in play and the amount you are likely to be shifting the metered solution, it is a minor consideration and depends also on the particular camera you are using. (something I'm guessing some here don't wish to consider, or simply don't understand).

ETTR is all about maximising the saturation of the sensor for a given scene. ISO has nothing at all do to with this.

Q: So how do you do that without increasing the exposure?
A: You can't. There is no other way to increase the amount of light striking the sensor than to use a longer shutter duration and/or a wider aperture... (leaving aside the possibility of supplementing the lighting!)

Conclusion: If you increase the exposure, which you are obliged to do..

...then you are carrying out the same actions as using a lower ISO...

...with NO photographic difference whatsoever, and with the SAME photographic results.

With a similarphotographic result.

The sensor readout is not treated the same if the ISO setting is different. So exposing for ISO 200 with the camera set at ISO 400 is simply not the same as exposing at ISO 200.

As I've said, the difference is probably not particularly striking - depending on the camera - and it's also pretty irrelevant to ETTR.

So we should probably just let it go now eh?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow