Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?
Re: How indeed?
In reply to solarider, Apr 1, 2013

solarider wrote:

Definitely good photo work - and knowing where to be at the right moment.

On browsing your blog I found this to bring up a chuckle in the comments:

"Anonymous8:54 AM    hi mark,im using a pentax k5 because you are my idol.hehehe,im planning to buy *DA200mm,my lense kit now was 18to135m DA and DA*55.i want to know how you manage to used ISO 4000 to 5000 with still a good quality picture."

I know this may seem like blasphemy to the purist, but I have been shooting mostly JPG.  The Pentax 4star JPEG fulfills my spot journalism needs and I really appreciate Pentax's current .jpg algorithms.

I tend to dwell in the 4000-5000 ISO range for most of our night (or indoor sports) assignments. Working here for the Philippines' Media,  we can't always expect brightly lit venues.  Throughout my shooting career, the Pyramid  (sports venue for Long Beach State University) still remains to be one of the brightest lit shooting venues ever.

I currently had the setting for noise reduction on default: Auto. I plan to experiment and turn those down to "Low"  to see if I can preserve more detail.  The Pentax output at extremely high ISO above 3200 is very clean, without any need for noise reduction software.

It seems Pentax ISO 4000+ is besting yesterday's ISO 800.  It allows users the ability to stop down and use f4 at night, or poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for browsing.

-- hide signature --

Managing Director Alon Philippines Surf & Travel
www.alonphilippines.com
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine
Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow