Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,864Gear list
Like?
Re: Still welcome.
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 1, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Anything shot with a D7100 is of high interest these days.  I guess you are trying to get a real life set of images for all of us to study, but, I think your choice of lens for this setting is pretty obscure.  If you were using a 50/85 prime or a 17-50 type zoom, I could understand the usefulness of the set.  But, shooting at 300mm indoors wide open is just not a common occurrence.

I often shoot wide open with a long lens at events. It helps when your unable to close the distance and still shoot this type of compositions.  I'm thinking this is fine. Might event be the only lens he had so still a valuable contribution to the forum. Perhaps not common but why would we want to only see common examples.

What I attempted to say is that I would like to see a lens selected for these shots that would be able to better bridge the gap between the lighting and the camera.  There is so much noise in these images, I am not even sure they are focused correctly on the subjects.  A slow lens will often miss focus in poor lighting (I should know) creating even more noise in the expanded out of focus area.  So, what I think we are seeing are more the limitations of the lens.

In the next few months we will see a thousand D7100 portraits with "traditional" lens...I enjoy an example that pushes the limits a bit. Especially at the worst end of that lens...helps determine if pro glass is really needed.

If I were determining a lens purchase from these shots, I would be selling all my variable aperture lenses and getting the trinity or primes.  Tomorrow (I think B & H is closed one more day for Passover).

A variable aperture lens is going to struggle so why put that distraction into a series of test shots of a camera?  A frog won't swim well in boiling water.

When preparing the frog for the table...his ability to swim doesn't always have to enter into it

Touche!

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow